Under the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations 2020 which underpins the second national lockdown due to Covid 19, Estate agents, letting agents, removal firms and tradespeople can still go inside homes and you are free to move house as long as strict Covid safety guidance is followed. As such Mortimers can continue to work.
The Regulations specifically state that activities relating to the property sector are allowed to continue in exception to the national lockdown rules and guidance, which relates to undertaking any of the following activities in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property: –
(i) visiting estate or letting agents, developer sales offices or show homes;
(ii) viewing residential properties to look for a property to buy or to rent;
(iii) preparing a residential property to move in;
(iv) moving house;
(v) visiting a residential property to undertake any activities required for the rental or
sale of that property;
Since the start of the Covid pandemic, the ongoing safety of our customers is of paramount importance. We remain committed to keeping you moving safely during this time. Please take a moment to read carefully, the answers below to some of the frequently asked questions: –
- I am looking to purchase or let a property during COVID, is this possible? Yes. As long as you are not displaying any Covid-19 symptoms, such as a temperature or a new and continuous cough you can view a property and allow viewings to your home or the property you occupy, provided that all social distancing rules are followed and masks are worn. Mortimers politely request that the property is unoccupied and all internal doors are left open, prior to the viewing commencing and for the duration of the appointment. We will ensure that the viewing is undertaken in a timely manner (approximately 20 minutes is required), as such any questions or discussions relating to the viewing, will take place outside of the property or by alternative methods of communication and then communicated to all relevant parties at the earliest opportunity.
- Who will be allowed into my property? During this second lockdown, prospective purchasers, prospective tenants, estate agents, letting agents, conveyancers, surveyors, tradespeople and removal workers are all allowed to enter your property, as long as social distancing guidelines are followed and masks worn.
- How will viewings be conducted? Prior to any viewing, the prospective purchaser/tenant and seller/landlord will be asked to confirm that they have not presented any of the symptoms associated with Covid-19 in the previous 7 days. No viewing will go ahead if either party has shown symptoms or has been self-isolating. During a viewing you must comply with government guidelines that include following social distancing rules, wearing a face mask and avoiding touching surfaces. A member of the Mortimers Team will have a supply of masks and gloves should you need them. We will notify & remind you in your confirmation viewing email, of all these measures.If you find a property that meets your requirements, and you wish to book in a viewing, please can we ask that you take the time and trouble to view the property ‘virtual tour’ (where available) along with previewing the property details, photographs and floorplan, prior to booking the appointment with Mortimers. This enables you to see a 360 degree view of the interior and exterior, and prevents you from dedicating your valuable time and making an unnecessary journey, if the property does not fully meet your criteria.
- How many people can go on a viewing? Only one household can accompany the agent on a viewing and children should not be taken along if at all possible to limit the number of people inside the property at any one time. If prospective purchasers or tenants are currently from separate households and wish to view the property on the same occasion, only two adults can enter the property with the agent, at any one time.
- How will viewings be conducted? Prior to any viewing, the prospective buyer/tenant and seller/landlord will be asked to confirm that they have not presented any of the symptoms associated with Covid-19 in the previous 7 days. No viewing will go ahead if either party has shown symptoms or has been self-isolating. During a viewing you must comply with government guidelines that include following social distancing rules, wearing a face mask and avoiding touching surfaces. Your Mortimers agent will have a supply of masks and gloves should you need them. We will talk through all these measures with you once a viewing is confirmed.
- As a seller or landlord, what do I need to do to prepare for viewings? Please ensure good ventilation inside your home by opening windows and all internal doors prior to the viewing. Provide hand sanitiser for use by visitors on arrival and if you’re happy to do so, please allow access to handwashing facilities and leave out paper towels. Your estate agent will remind potential purchasers/tenants not to touch surfaces, but after the viewing, please spray or wipe down door handles with an antibacterial cleaning product.
- As a prospective purchaser, my home is not yet on the market ‘For Sale’, can I view a property? Speculative viewings should take place via our ‘virtual tours’ where available. We strongly encourage customers to only request a physical viewing if they have a very keen interest in the property.
- How have your working practices changed to ensure the safety of your estate agents? Midshires House, Smeaton Close, Aylesbury has been continually risk assessed at the start of the pandemic and signage put in place to ensure our team and all visitors adhered to the government guidance for social distancing. During this second lockdown our Covid-secure offices are happy to receive customers by appointment only.
The friendly and approachable team at Mortimers would be delighted to assist in any further queries you may have. Please do not hesitate in contacting us on: 01296 398555 alternatively email: firstname.lastname@example.org